Thursday, May 13, 2010

E-scape with my Garlic Scape Walnut Basil Pesto Recipe

Last fall, my mom brought home some homemade scape pesto from the annual Garlic Festival at the Rebec Vineyards. For those that don't know what scape is, it is actually the stem of a garlic stalk that can be used in dishes as a lighter substitute for garlic. The pesto has a unique taste, and can be used as a spread on bread as well as a sauce for pasta. Since I am a huge fan of basil pesto, and happened to have a whole crop of garlic whose scapes have started to curl, I did some research online and found a recipe for Scape-Walnut-Basil pesto that I am sure will be fantastic. Check it out for yourself:

Above is a picture of the scape from my garden. Below is a picture of the finished pesto- I probably added a bit too much walnuts and not enough basil, but it is still delicious!


No comments:

Post a Comment